Category:Updating and Automation
Although Q has a very powerful scripting language, most common objectives that users have when they automate are better addressed using the many automation tools built into Q.
Automatic updating tools
- Updating Projects with New or Revised Data
- Automatic Updating of PowerPoint and Excel Documents
- Updating a Dashboard
- Automatically Updating R DataSets, Variables, and Outputs
In various parts of Q it is possible to simultaneously change multiple things at the same time. For example:
- On the Tables/Outputs Tab, you can select multiple tables in the Report tree, and change their Filters, Weights, Statistics, Footers and the selections in the Blue and Brown Drop-down Menus all at the same time. The image below illustrates how this is done when selecting Statistics - Cells for multiple tables at the same time.
- In the Variables and Questions tab you can select multiple variables and move them, modify their Value Attributes and Variable Type settings at the same time.
Where multiple researchers have been working on the same data file, the data and outputs in the Q projects can be combined by dragging and dropping (see Merging Projects).
Find Replace gives a high level of control about both where it searches and replaces and also about how to perform the search and replace. For example, you can:
- Use wildcards (e.g., have Q replace all text that starts with Please rate your).
- Where there are many similar questions in a project, and there is a need to modify each in the same way (e.g., merging together top 2 boxes and setting Don't Know as Missing Data), you can do this by:
- Creating a table of the question, and modifying it as per your needs.
- Automate > Online Library > Modifying Data - Use a Question as a Template for Modifying Other Questions.
- Charts can be saved as templates using View > Save as Template and reapplied to other charts in this and other projects using the Show Data as drop-down menu at the top of the screen.
- If exporting to Microsoft Office:
Rules and QScripts in the Online Library
Many things that users need to automate have already been automated in the form of Rules and QScripts, and can be found by selecting Automate > Online Library and searching for whatever is of interest.
- Automating uploading of projects for online reporting (i.e., the API) - see Q API.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category ‘Updating and Automation’
The following 16 pages are in this category, out of 16 total.
- How Do I Automate Things Using Syntax?
- How to Address Changes in the Questionnaire in a Tracker
- How To Band Numeric Variables
- How to Create a Categorical Variable from Binary Variables
- How To Detect Changes in Trackers
- How to Use a Dashboard for Automated Reporting
- How to Use Search/Replace to Conditionally Recode Lots of Variables