Automatically Merging Categories and Creating NETs
The most straightforward approach to merging categories and creating NETs is via drag-and-drop, or, selecting multiple categories, right-clicking and choosing Merge or Create NET. It is also possible to automate this process, so that it can be quickly performed on multiple questions in a project.
Using a question as a template
Where you have a lot of questions that have an identical structure, such as lots of seven point rating scales with the same labels for each of the scale points, the most straightforward approach is to:
- Manually merge the categories or create NETs on one of the questions.
- Automatically apply these changes to other questions with the same structure, using Automate > Browse Online Library and running Modify Data - Use Question as Template for Modifying Other Questions.
Using the Online Library
The Online Library, which is accessed using Automate > Browse Online Library contains various QScripts for solving merging and netting problems, such as:
- Create New Variables - Top 2 Category Variable(s) (Top 2 Boxes)
- Creating Top and Bottom 2 or 3 Box NETs for all Questions with 5 or 7 Categories
- Creating Top and Bottom 2 or 3 Box NETs for all Questions with 5 or 7 Categories and Adding Values to Labels
- Modify Data - Merge 7 Point Scales Into 3 Categories
- Modify Data - Merge Scales (Custom)
- Create New Variables - Variables from Merged Categories
Creating custom QScripts and/or Rules