Importing Data from SurveyGizmo
When exporting from SurveyGizmo, it is important to export an SPSS data file. You must be on the Professional or Enterprise plan to export SPSS in SurveyGizmo.
- Login to your SurveyGizmo account and select your project.
- Click Report > Data Analysis > SPSS Export. (You must have at least one report.)
- Click Settings, ensure Enable shown, unanswered questions to be distinguished from unshown questions is checked.
- Also ensure that Automatically increment labeled values numerically for questions with non-numeric reporting values is checked, and then click Save.
Note: It is generally better not to change any of the other settings under Settings, as this information will be used to set up your data.
Wait until the export completes. Then click Download Export and save the file. The SPSS (.sav) data file is in the downloaded zip file.
Updated 21 November 2016. Please contact support if you have problems with these instructions.
SurveyGizmo question types mapping in Q
The below table clarifies how the various SurveyGizmo question types are set up by Q upon data file import. See the SurveyGizmo documentation on how to import questions that repeat or use piping.
|SurveyGizmo Question type||How it appears in Q||Notes|
|Checkbox Grid||Pick Any - Grid|
|Continuous Sum||Number - Multi|
|Custom Table||As above||Depends on which grid types are included.|
|Drag-and-drop ranking||Pick One - Multi|
|Dropdown menu||Pick One|
|Dropdown Menu Grid||Pick One - Multi|
|Dropdown Menu List||Pick One - Multi|
|Grouping (Closed Card Sort)||Pick One - Multi|
|Grouping (Open Card Sort)||Text|
|MaxDiff||Text||Returns the results of the experiment and is not appropriate for use in Q's Experiment question type. Change Variable Type in Q to Numeric.|
|Quick Sort||Pick One - Multi|
|Radio Button Grid||Pick One - Multi|
|Radio Buttons||Pick One|
|Ranking Grid||Pick One - Multi|
|Rating (Likert Scale)||Pick One|
|Semantic Differential||Pick One - Multi||See notes below|
|Slider List||Text||Change Variable Type in Q to Numeric.|
|Star Rating Grid||Number - Grid|
Semantic Differential Questions
A Semantic Differential question in SurveyGizmo appears as a Pick One – Multi question in Q where the meaning of the scale is shown in the row labels rather than the columns. To split these up, do the following:
- Highlight the variables for the Semantic Differential question in the Variables and Questions tab.
- Right-click and select Revert to Source.
- For each of the variables, note the text in the Label column (which describes the scale), then click the Values (...) button and modify the entries in the Label column appropriately for the scale.
- Update the Question text to reflect the scale.