How To Merge Files Using Two ID Variables
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page describes how to merge data files when each file needs to be merged using two different variables (e.g., a respondent ID variable and an observation number).
- Import the first file into Q as follows: File > Data Sets > Add to Project, select the source, and choose Use original data file structure and press OK.
- Name: CombinedId (you can use any name)
- Label: Combined ID variable (you can use any label)
- Expression: id1 + " " + id2 (replace the variable names with your names)
- Tools > Save data as SPSS/CSV file, and save the file somewhere.
- Repeat the previous steps for the second file.
- Merge the two files in the normal way (see Merging Data Files).