Viewing And Editing Raw Data
Viewing raw data
The underlying data of any question can be viewed by:
- Selecting the question in the Blue drop-down menu and selecting RAW DATA in the Brown drop-down menu. This can be copied into other programs.
- Going to the Data tab, either by:
- Pressing the Data tab located on the bottom left of the screen.
- Pressing the located to the right of a variable in the Variables and Questions tab.
Editing the raw data
There are two basic approaches to editing the raw data:
- By modifying the Value Attributes.
- By manually changing values on the Data tab:
- Go to the Data tab.
- Set the Case ID (top-left corner). The reason that this is required is that it allows you to import revised data files and have all your manual changes be applied to the correct cases in the revised data file.
- Go to the individual cells you wish to change and type in the desired value.
- Delete cases (see How to Delete Cases (Observations)).
Exporting the data file with the modifications in it
When you "edit" the raw data, you are not actually changing the underlying data file. Q never edits a raw data file. Any and all modifications are contained within the Project Files, which means that all changes can be undone, there is a complete audit trail of all work, and you can import revised data files and have all the work automatically update.
However, if you export the data, all the manual changes will be applied in the exported data file.