How to Merge Multiple Pick One - Multi or Grid Questions
Sometimes data files contain multiple versions of Pick One - Multi, Pick Any - Grid or Number - Grid questions. For example, perhaps different versions of the questions were used in different countries. Where the structure of the questions are identical - that is, they contain the same number of variables, the variables are comparable and in the same order - they can be combined. To do so:
- Select all the variables to be merged.
- Right-click on them and select Revert to Source.
- Select the first variable in each version (hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard).
- Right-click the highlighted variables and select Insert Ready-Made Formula(s) > Merge. Select No when asked about hiding the input questions.
- Give a sensible Label to the new variable. Care should be made to ensure that the precise wording aligns with the input variables' Label (i.e., do not abbreviate, change the wording or make mistakes).
- Highlight all of the variables from the first question.
- Right-click and select Set Question.
- Choose the appropriate Question Type, enter a Name and click OK.
- Repeat Steps 6 - 8 for the second question (and other questions if you are combining more than two).
- Right-click on the new variable (created in Step 4) and select Insert Ready-Made Formula(s) > Use as Template for Replication, and press OK twice (carefully read the dialog boxes and check that the variables have been correctly).
- Ensure Question Type of the new question is correct.
- Hide the input variables.
- Right-click on the initial merged variable (i.e., the one used as a template), and select Delete Copied or Constructed Variable(s).